Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:18:50 -0700
From:      "Li, Qing" <qing.li@bluecoat.com>
To:        "Randy Bush" <randy@psg.com>, "Claudio Jeker" <cjeker@diehard.n-r-g.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, qingli@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: forwarding when two rip defaults

>> I don't want to disrupt the party but I seriously doubt that routed
>> supports multipath routing. Routed's radix code is unable to handle
>> multipath routes.
>
> maybe i am confused.  but my momma told me that routing !=3D =
forwarding.

> i.e. routed will receive two default routes and i hope would install
> them in the fib, where RADIX_MPATH forwarding would take over.  am i
> wrong about what routed will do?  will it choose only one to install =
in
> the fib?

  Yes, FIB is a subset of a RIB for the most part, but I think what =
Claudio=20
  is referring to, is the "radix" code inside the "routed" =
implementation,=20
  which is incapable of storing multiple routes to the same destination. =

  That version of the "radix" code is very similar to the original =
kernel=20
  "radix" code. So although "routed" may be receiving multiple =
  about the default routes, but because it's incapable of holding more=20
  than 1 such entry in its RIB, how would it be able to install more=20
  than 1 entry into the FIB ?

  When ECMP routes are present, the route selection for forwarding is=20
  based on a simple hash key generated from the source and destination=20
  IP addresses.
 =20
  Regarding the documentation, you can get some usage text from my =
original
  commit message. I agree more text in a man page form is warranted.
  At the time I did not receive much input so didn't bother to spend
  the cycles on more formal writeup.=20

  http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D178167
  http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base?view=3Drevision&revision=3D178168

  -- Qing