Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:43:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        hawkeyd@visi.com
Cc:        hackers at FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backporting burncd w/VCD support to 4.5-REL-p24

It seems D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Per the subject, how much work will it be?
>
> For giggles, I grabbed the earliest burncd from CVS that supports VCD,
> saved off my /usr/src/usr.sbin/burncd, then:
>   # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/burncd
>   # make all
> The build puked on a few CDR* definitions, and a bunch of other stuff.
> Later versions than the version I grabbed want stdint.h (which I don't
> have), so I shied away from that.
>
> Can anyone (Soren?) tell me what all I need to pull this off, and not
> break the rest of the system? If it's easier to build up a Makefile to
> build it outside of /usr/src, I'd be game to try that, too.

Doing a backport to 4.5 will include changes to the ATA driver in the
kernel as well as to burncd, and is not a trivial matter (and IMHO
not worth the effort as an update will do nicely)...
It would be far easier to upgrade the system to something newer like
at least 4.7 where the support is already in...

-Søren