Date:      Tue, 17 May 2005 10:30:10 -0500
From:      Matthew Grooms <mgrooms@seton.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.4 amd64 kernel and em driver issue ...

All,

      Has anyone done any extensive testing with the em driver on a 5.4
release amd64 SMP kernel? I have two boxes in a firewall setup that
contain 6 em interfaces each. The public interface on both of them ( em0
) will simply stop transmitting and then start working again after some
time all by themselves.

      I did a lot of testing with 5.3 release candidates and did not see
this behavior. Did anything go into the 5.4 kernel late in the release
cycle that could have effected this?

My kernel config is GENERIC with the following modifications ...

1) removal of IPV6 and faith
2) removal of USB, USB Ethernet and Firewire
3) addition of SMP support
4) addition of pf, pflog, pfsync, carp and ALTQ

Detailed description of the problem ...

 From the firewall itself I could be pinging www.google.com and it will
just stop. After a few minutes to an hour or so later it will just start
working again. The really odd thing is that I can always ssh into the
box on private em interface. The really really odd thing is that I can
run tcpdump the public interface ( that I can't talk out of ) while the
problem occurs and see traffic on the wire like ...

1) ICMP packets still coming from ping on my firewall to google
    ( maybe BPF picks it up early and the interface is dropping it ? )
2) ARP requests
3) CDP advertisements
4) Misc other broadcast traffic

What I have tried so far to diagnose the issue ...

1) disabling pf using -d
2) disabling SMP in kernel
3) disabling carp in kernel
4) disabling ALTQ in kernel
5) hard coding the link speed to either half or full duplex
6) trimming down my route table
7) replacing both network cables
8) moving to different ports on the switch
9) moving to a different switch all together
10) running with mpsafenet disabled

What I am testing right now ...

1) disabling pf in the kernel
2) disabling HTT in hardware
3) disabling USB & Firewire in hardware
4) sacrificing a chicken on the alter of the Ethernet gods

Any help is _GREATLY_ appreciated as I have to get these boxes out into
production quickly. Am I missing something obvious? Could I be having a
resource conflict somehow? Could I be missing a lock assertion or LOR
for lack of witness or invariants? I will do whatever I can to provide
any info to help diagnose this problem. For starters, here is my kernel
config and dmesg output.

http://hole.shrew.net/~mgrooms/files/freebsd/custom.txt
http://hole.shrew.net/~mgrooms/files/freebsd/dmesg.txt

Thanks in advance,