Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 1996 21:18:14 -0800
From:      bobb@netcom.com (Bob Beaulieu)
To:        tulchins@voland.phoebe.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EXABYTE  SCSI tape

In article <199601091416.OAA00774@voland.phoebe.com> you write:
>Hi everybody,
>
>Here is my problem. I can't make my SCSI tape drive
>work. If drive is empty at the boot time I get:
>  (ahc0:3:0): "EXABYTE EXB-8200 2618" type 1 removable SCSI 1
>st0(ahc0:3:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty
>
>if I put tape in it tries to access it and after three "device busy"
>shows "drive empty".
>
>How can I get it to work. I am tired of reinstalling and
>reconfiguring the system after every crash :-(
>
>I am running 2.1 from cdrom. I have pentium 90 with adaptec 2940.
>
>Thanks a lot for your help.
>Please reply to tulchins@ix.netcom.com.
>
>Steven

Hi Steve,

I'm trying to get an Exabyte 2501 going also and having a hell of a time.
J"org is working with me trying to get it working and I rebuilt my kernel
with options SCSIDEBUG and booted the kernel with -v.

As soon as the system came up and as root he had me try:

scsi -f /dev/st0ctl.0 -d 255

and after try some operations:

mt status
mt blocksize 0
mt blocksize 10240
tar c
mt rewind

Maybe this will tell you something in /var/log/messages with the
debug?  I'm new at this, so sorry can't be of much help.

Oh, I called Exabyte and they suggested closing 5&6 on jumper9
to set the blocking to 512 - didn't work...:(

Still trying to figure out what the problem is...

Bob Beaulieu
ez@eztravel.com