Date:      Mon, 09 Sep 2002 04:01:42 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interrupting target kernel using single sio

Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> using a single serial cable I can pass control to the remote kgdb
> pressing ctl-alt-del at the target host.
> I'm looking for a means to interrupt the target kernel from the
> remote host.
> I got suggestions using a second serial cable or using ipgdb
> instead.
> Setting remotechat didn't help me.
>
> Is it intended to be able to interrupt the target kernel from the
> remote kgdb by some means at all? Or is this a wrong expectation?

You need to send something which sends an interrupt to the
driver on the remote host, so that it can be caught, and
enter the debugger.

Normally, this is done using the "break" signal (250+ms of
RS232-C line silence).

This is enabled via:

	options ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
	options BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

See /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for details.

Note that your gdb client program is, AFAIK, too stupid to be
able to send this break.  But if you can get it to do it, then
FreeBSD will do the right thing.

Most likely, you will need to hack gdb to make it able to send
the break signal in response to a ^C or whatever you define as
your "remote break" character.

-- Terry