Date:      Sun, 22 May 2016 15:29:37 -0700
From:      hiren panchasara <hiren@strugglingcoder.info>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        Kefeh Collins <kefehcollins@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: contributing to open source

--pE2VAHO2njSJCslu

On 05/22/16 at 05:31P, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Sun, 22 May 2016, Kefeh Collins wrote:
>=20
> > hello
> >  i am a second year computer science student, program in c and c++ and =
am
> > interested in contributing in operating system (kernel) directed projec=
ts
> > please i need guidance
>=20
> A couple of thoughts:
>=20
> (1) There's an "ideas list" at https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage and
> links to some other things as well, if you are just wanting potential
> topics to work on
>=20
> (2) You might try to join an IRC channel or two to get a sense for what is
> going on and get to know some other developers.  #bsdcode or #bsddev on
> EFnet come to mind, but see also https://wiki.freebsd.org/IrcChannels

Good points, Ben. I'd add:

(3) Look at https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/ and see if you can find
anything you'd like to work on. If you do, propose a patch or ask a
question there without hesitation.

(4) If you are interested/willing, you can setup a machine (or a VM)
running FreeBSD. (Not directly related to programming but this can give
you a good idea of how FreeBSD works.)

Thank you for your interest in FreeBSD!

Cheers,
Hiren