Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 12:44:37 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

FreeBSD Bob <fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> What are the pros and cons of doing backups on CD's?

* Small capacity.  Even with compression, CD's don't hold much.  Of
  course, if you don't have a lot to back up, this isn't an issue.
  However, if the data won't fit onto a single CD, plan on babysitting
  the computer and feeding it disks.

* Speed is "decent", but not great (however, it can be great if you take
  price into account).  Unless you have a recent-generation CDR/CDRW,
  the write speed is, at most, 4X, which is 600KB/sec.  It's probably
  even worse with CDRW, as many drives seem to write CDRW media at a
  slower speed than CDR.  Still, many inexpensive tape drives transfer
  data at well under 1MB/sec (early DAT drives, for example, transfer
  data at 150KB/sec), and so CD's aren't that bad.

* Multi-disk backups are problematic.  Unless you write your own backup
  software, I think you have to use split(1) to slice'n dice the output
  from dump/tar, and then write the resulting files to CDs.  You
  basically need lots of free disk space, to use as a staging area.

* If you're environmentally conscious, writing backups to CDRs (as
  opposed to CDRWs) is environmentally hostile.  ;-)

> I have been doing archiving on CD's for some months, and that seems
> to be working, but, it is a real hassle to go through the motions of
> tarring/compressing/isoing to write to a cd.... more than should be
> necessary.

     Except for "feeding disks to the drive", it's straightforward to
write scripts to automate this, as long as you have enough free disk
space to use as a staging area.

> Are there any good ways to use CD's as ``quasi tape devices'' rather
> than mountable devices?  Something like dumping to a file, then
> dding the file directly to the CDdevice is what I would like to do.
> Then if a recovery is needed, restore directly from the CD, like tape.

     What's wrong with mounting?  It's easy to do.  You can make a
bootable FreeBSD floppy with the CDROM driver on it (I think the fixit
floppy already has it).  In that case, you can just store the backup as
a file on the CDROM.  When you need to restore, you boot from the
floppy, mount the CDROM, and restore.  No muss, no fuss.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion, or policy of Hewlett-Packard, or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.