Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:08:30 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        hmmm@alaska.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: user ppp

> i'm hacking user-ppp and i crash it alot ...  how can i flush ppp
> from my system when it's running as a daemon?  i'd like to restart
> ppp as a daemon after i crash it.

I'm not sure what flush means in this context, but I think you want to
kill the /usr/sbin/ppp daemon process and then restart it, right?
This is what I do:

kill `ps -axo pid,command | awk '$0 ~ /[p]pp -auto/ {print $1}'`
ppp -auto <whatever>

> i hate rebooting just because i crash it.  you can't "kill" it
> either because it has no PID.

/usr/sbin/ppp runs as a process, so it has a PID.  We must be talking
about different things.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov