Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:51:52 -0700
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help me make FreeBSD shine

 Hi,

I have a Compaq Deskpro at work, running FreeBSD 3.4.

Currently, it's main purpose is as a solid web server for
our intranet, running Apache 1.3.6 and it's been doing great.

In an effort to find more uses for FreeBSD than just a
web server, one of my managers wants to know if it's
possible to use FreeBSD to check and log system
availability for nodes on our network.

Each weekend, we have 12 IBM AS/400's that get
IPL'd and it's the responsibility of the on-call person
to make sure these systems are up each Monday
morning.

Is there a way that I could write up some simple shell
script that would ping the IP addresses of these
systems and then log the output into a file that I could
make accessible through a web browser?  If so, I
could set it to run in the CRON scheduler every four
hours at specific times/days.  Is there a port or package
out there that would do something like this?

I know about MRTG but I don't necessarily want the
output to show up in the form of a graph chart.

This is an opportunity to really make FreeBSD
shine, to prove it's capabilities in our office.

Can someone offer some suggestions?

Thanks

Joe