Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 11:28:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kristyn Fayette <kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        jmacd@uclink.berkeley.edu (Joshua Peck Macdonald)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GW2000 2.0.5 installed?

} Has anyone installed 2.0.5R or later on a Gateway 2000 pentium-60?
} My friends computer has AMI BIOS 1.00.10.aftXX, a mach32 video
} card, a pci ide hard drive, their goofy PS/2 style mouse/keyboard,
} and the Intel Premium Motherboard.  Last time we tried to install
} 1.1.5 I think and it failed, we couldn't do much with the serial
} ports and I don't think there was a XFree driver yet, will it work?
}
} -josh
}

  I've had 1.0.2, 1.1.5.1, and 2.0.5 installed on my Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V.
I've got a PS/2 style mouse and the 124-key keyboard (if that's what you
mean by "goofy") and an ATI Ultra Pro mach32 video card with 2 megs.  But,
I've got a Phoenix BIOS, not AMI.

Both my serial ports work fine.  Since I enabled /dev/psm0 for my mouse, tho,
I have to keep my keyboard active during the probes at boot time...especially
right after my hard disks are identified.  The easiest way to do this is to
just keep pressing the numlock key and watch the light.  If I forget to do
that, I've got to use another terminal to get into the system so I can shut
it down gracefully.  This is only supposed to be a problem with some Phoenix
BIOS', I'm told.  It didn't do it with a CompuDyne with an AMI BIOS I had
at work once.

Yes, there's been an XFree86 driver for the mach32 since XFree86 2.1 (when I
used FreeBSD 1.0.2).

--
                    -=(*)=-   Kristyn Fayette   -=(*)=-
                           kristyn@gnu.ai.mit.edu