Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 22:08:22 +1100
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, Masafumi NAKANE <max@wide.ad.jp>, serg@dor.zaural.ru, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: delegate buffer overflow (ports)

all,

On Fri, Jan 28, 2000 at 02:36:54AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001280053120.27989-100000@hub.freebsd.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
> : **************************************
> : ** WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!! **
> : **************************************
> :
> : THIS PORT CONTAINS KNOWN SECURITY HOLES WHICH ALLOW A REMOTE ATTACKER TO
> : EASILY TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR MACHINE. YOU INSTALL THIS PORT AT YOUR OWN
> : RISK!! DON'T COME CRYING TO US IF YOU GET ROOTED BECAUSE OF INSTALLING
> : THIS PORT.
> :
> : Do you want hackers to be able to take remote control of your
> : machine? (y/N):

generally ok, but ...

i have no probelms with hackers, hell i used to be an os9
hacker and started learing the ropes of qnx hacking.

on the other hand i do have serious problems with criminals
using my computer to create problems for other people. maybe the
word to be used should be "crackers" or just call them what
they are "computer criminals" but, please not "hackers".

hacking is a long and proud tradition that has given us many
computer hardware and software inovations of teh past 35 to
seventy or so years .. right back to the early twenties when
german scientists gave teh world the first functionally usable
devices that we now call digit computers.

sorry, i'll get back  under my rock ..

</soapbox>

regards

jonathan