Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 12:33:21 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>, "John Galt" <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
Cc:        "Dave" <dave@reason.za.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <hogwash-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject:   RE: IDS

While it would be great if you wanted to put a port of this together, unless
you want to be responsible for this for a long period of time - years that
is -
then please consider this carefully.  We already have many ports in FreeBSD
that
have been abandonded by their maintainers and cause a lot of trouble for
users.

A much better solution for those that aren't comitted to this is to go through
the code of the package and make sure that it cleanly compiles under FreeBSD
without a string of compiler warnings, and get the changes fed back into the
package distribution maintainers.  In particular pay attention to:

http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/porting-versions.html
http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/porting-prefix.html
http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x1895.html
http://www.freebsd.org/porters-handbook/x1947.html

The problems covered by these links are really portability issues.  It becomes
a lot harder when packages that people write make a bunch of assumptions about
hard
coding directory names, stomping on variables, and putting wrong ifdef's in
the
code.  That just forces the port maintainer to create huge sets of patch files
to be applied to the package and greatly increase the maintainence
requirements.

It's much better if these suggestions can be fed back into the package
developers
so they get included in their source, without having to be patched in later.
If this is done then even an inexperienced person can create a port of the
package and add that into the FreeBSD ports section later on.

I agree with Dave that this is a great idea, let's make sure that the things
get done to it now so that it doesen't become a maintainence problem for us
later on.