Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      DJ <fusionfoto@yahoo.com>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smartctl/ada/FreeBSD 8.1 more than 10 devices?

> .... since all the drives, cables and controllers are identical, I'm tryi=
ng to figure out if there is something *else* I should be looking into for =
why smart would have an issue, but the rest of the OS has no issues with th=
ese drives.=A0 (zfs is storing data, reports them all as online, etc). I lo=
oked into the smartctl code, and there definitely is a carve out for FreeBS=
D 8.1 or later, but I don't know enough about the new internals to know if =
the is any kind of concern parsing more than 10 drives, etc.
Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

$ sudo smartctl -d atacam -i /dev/ada11
smartctl 5.39.1 2010-01-28 r3054 [FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=3D=3D=3D START OF INFORMATION SECTION =3D=3D=3D
Model Family:=A0 =A0=A0=A0Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 family
Device Model:=A0 =A0=A0=A0ST31500341AS

Also, out of curiosity, are you using the ahci(4) driver or the siis(4)=20
driver?

Thank you - fantastic!

I tried the -d atacam before I sent the email, but I obviously specified it=
 incorrectly because I wrote the message anyway. This solves the issue, not=
 sure why it can't detect it.

To answer your follow up question, I started using just siis, but added ahc=
i to allow ahci functions. As far as I can tell, AHCI functions add on top =
of the SIIS ones. The boot compact flash (not on the SIIS card) converted t=
o ada from ad once ahci was loaded.

DJ
=0A=0A=0A