Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:29:19 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
Cc:        questions at FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating FBSD on one slice from another slice

--GZVR6ND4mMseVXL/

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:43:07AM -0500, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> What I'm stumped with is how to tell 'make [build|install][world|kernel]'
> to do their thing from the OS in the slice I'm running (the newer), but
> do the reads and writes on the other, older slice. Same conundrum with
> 'mergemaster'; how do I tell it to do it's thing on that older slice?
> A mountpoint on the newer slice I'm running, "/mnt/s2", is the older
> slice's "/", so the entire other, older slice is visible.

You'll have to copy /mnt/s2/etc/make.conf temporarily in place of
/etc/make.conf, if there's any significant difference between the two
systems.  Then you can just do:

    # cd /mnt/s2/usr/src
    # make installkernel installworld KERNCONF=3DFOO DESTDIR=3D/mnt/s2
    # mergemaster -m /mnt/s2/usr/src -D /mnt/s2

Alternatively, take a look at the chroot(8) or jail(8) man pages...

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way