Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:46:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      PaZt <pazt@razor.tuxtendo.nl>
To:        xmen koh <xmenkoh@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to stop DoS Attack??

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001, xmen koh wrote:

> Dear security expert,
>
> Recently I got a DoS on my web server. Does anyone
> know how to
> stop a DoS attack and prevent it from happen again?
> Some help
> will be appreciated to explain the below TCPDump which
> I got
> during the attack.
>
> Here are some of my finding during the attack...
>
> 1) There are a lot of connection from different IP at
> the same
>    time, which tries to overload the system using HTTP
> by non-
>    stop requests of URLs. Below is the TCPDUMP.
>
> 2) The URLs requested as logged by the web server log
> seems to
>    be quite valid, indicating that the attacker has
> studied the
>    victim web site and many of these requests are for
> graphic
>    files, indicating a planned intention to clog up
> the server
>    & network.
>
> 3) Many source IPs, suspected all to be forged.
>
> 4) A very close time between each packet timestamp
> indicates a
>    script is used for this attack.

Well, a small DDoS could be stopped by a simple firewall, yet a complex or
very big DDoS attack is rather hard to stop, maybe even impossible.

If the DDoS isnt all too wisely set up, snort (/usr/ports/security/snort)
could find the ips where the
dos is coming from, wich would make you able to send abuse mails or
whatever.

That's about all i can think of right now,

Grtz,

PaZt