Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:19:45 +0100
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 - openldap slapd lockups, mutex problems

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 03:13:57AM +0100, Pierre Guinoiseau wrote:
> > I have seen openldap spin the cpu and even run out of memory to get=20
> > killed on some of our test systems running ~9.1-rel with zfs.
[...]
> I've the same problem too, inside a jail, stored on ZFS. I've tried vario=
us
> tuning in slapd.conf, but none fixed the problem. While hanging, db_stat =
-c
> shows that all locks are being used, I've tried to set the limit really h=
igh,
> far more than normally needed, but it didn't help. I may have the same pr=
oblem
> with amavisd-new but I've to verify that to be sure the symptoms are simi=
lar.

I have amd64 9.1-STABLE r245456 (about Jan 15) running. I have openldap=20
openldap-server-2.4.33_2 running, depending on libltdl-2.4.2 and=20
db46-4.6.21.4 .

The system is zfs only (for the local filesystems, where openldap is=20
running - it has several NFS mounts for other purposes though). It's up=20
and running for about a month now (29 days) and never showed any=20
problematic behaviour regarding to slapd.

I have ~10 SEARCH requests per seconds avg and only minor=20
ADD/MODIFY/DELETE operations. It has several binds und unbinds, about=20
1/10th of the requests. It runs in slurpd slave mode for my master LDAP.

zroot/var/db runs with compression=3Doff, dedup=3Doff, zroot is a mirrored=
=20
pool on 2 Intel SATA SSD drives inside a GPT partition. Swap is on a ZFS=20
zvol.

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller          http://sysadm.in/         ob@sysadm.in |
|                        Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe. |

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--