Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:48:30 -0500
From:      Igor Partola <ipartola@clarku.edu>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 8600

Good time of day, everyone.

I have had this laptop for a while now and the only thing that is
keeping me from switching to FreeBSD as my normal desktop environment is
the ACPI.

As usual S1 is supported while S3 is not. I've tried applying the latest
patch but I saw no improvement.

I tried running 5.1 on this machine a while ago and there more features
seemed to be supported. Hitting fn + F3 brought me to BIOS and closing
the lid turned off the screen (I believe that was after I issued
acpiconf -d as root). This functionality in 5.3 seems to be missing and
I see now way to turn off the screen (xset does not work as it does not
turn off backlight. I don't like this way anyways since I like console a
lot).

When I issue acpiconf -s 3 I see that the laptop is preparing to go in
suspend and the power indicator light actually starts dimming but after
a second the fan starts going like a jet and the system reboots. I tried
stripping the system of off all the unnecessary stuff (or so I think)
but got the same effect.

DSDT seems to be fine (5 Warnings, 4 of them about _S0C, one about
_WAK). I overrode it with a working one but nothing changed.

I would appreciate if someone gave me a piece of either hope or advice
on how to work with this.

Respect

Igor

I am kind of new to the whole patching thing so some of the patches for
some reason don't apply on my sys tree (generate .rej). Is there a
manual on how to patch things properly? Are all patches created equal?