Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 02:24:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      chris@summersault.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   misc/20031: kernel randomly panics with ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch

>Number:         20031
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       kernel randomly panics with ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Every couple of days, around 3:30 in the morning when periodic:daily is in to some hot and heavy disk activity, the kernel issues a "ffs_clusteralloc: map mismatch" and the machine reboots.  There seems to be no consistent cause of the problem, but some research shows that other folks have reported similar situations, and suspect the cause to be heavy disk activity.

Possibly related: in each crash, the /var/log/messages file has a large 4-5 hour gap in it preceeding the crash, where it appears that syslogd isn't writing out its activity.

This report is similar to PR#16740, which looks to be unresolved.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unknown, although it seems to involve having a particular hardware setup and then generating enough disk writes to cause the panic.
>Fix:
I've tried rebuilding the kernel, running fsck several times over, checking the bios settings, and can't get anywhere.  Sorry.