Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:34:28 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        netch@lucky.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: complicated downgrade

Valentin Nechayev wrote:
> I need to downgrade a remote FreeBSD system from 5.1-release to 4.8-release
> remotely without any local help (except possible hitting Reset).
> Don't ask why the collocation provider is too ugly and too far from me; it's
> given and unchangeable. This system never was 4.* (began from 5.0-DP2).

I have done this before.

The best was to deal with this is to create a 5.1 system locally,
and deal with all the problems that come up there, transplanting
the resulting scripts to the system in question.

Your biggest problems are going to be the creation of the /dev,
which will need to occur in an rc.local on reboot, replacing the
disklabel boot code, and the changes to the conf file for ssh to
operate correctly (you will likely need to regenerate keys).

If you can't remotely NFS mount a CDROM, a lot of the work is
going to be getting access to installation media.

-- Terry