Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:18:01 +0400
From:      Alexander Churanov <alexanderchuranov@gmail.com>
To:        marcus@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   portlint: incorrect Makefile analysis

Hi Folks!

I've encountered an issue with the portlint tool and do not find a
better place to file it.

For the set of new boost-ports, I'm using included Makefiles to remove
duplication. Portlint complains on variables contained in included
Makefiles. For example, it prints:

FATAL: Makefile: no MAINTAINER listed.

While "make -V MAINTAINER" works properly.
My ports are not checked in yet, if you need the source it's at
http://alexanderchuranov.com/boost-port/boost-ports-200907241320.tar.bz2

If I edit the master Makefile (which includes others) for a port and
add a MAINTAINER variable with the value "somebody", then portlint do
not fails with the same. However, it examines the content of the
variable listed in the master Makefile. It is incorrect, because
according to the rules of make, the variable has the last assigned
value. The assignment is done in the included Makefile.

Output of portlint if master Makefile also contains assignment to the
"MAINTAINER" variable:

OK: seen MAINTAINER, in order.
OK: MAINTAINER section is ordered properly.
FATAL: Makefile: MAINTAINER address, somebody, does not appear to be a
valid email address.

Sincerely,
Alexander Churanov