Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 06:21:51 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
To:        Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, John Gregor <johng@vieo.com>, Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net, leifn@neland.dk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to test out cron.c changes? (was: cvs commit: src/etc crontab)

Sergey Babkin wrote:

> Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> >
> > On Sat 2001-01-20 (16:39), Sergey Babkin wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I've committed these changes for cron to support DST change
> > > to -current (see PR bin/24494 for description of my tests).
> > > Everyone is welcome to test them out.
> > > Please let me know if you encounter any problems caused by them
> > > (and better do that before these changes would be MFCed to -stable
> > > in a few weeks).
> >
> > I do believe this is premature.  There really should at least be an
> > option for the old behaviour, and there is a good argument for making
> > the new behaviour optional dependent on a variable with the old
>
> Let me ask a simple question: Why ? What are the benefits of
> preserving the old behavior ? As far as I've watched this thread
> nobody had explained it. So could you please elaborate ?

You have not been paying attention.  Please go back and /read/
the archives on this topic which has been thrashed out in great
detail here.  We did not reach agreement about the desired
behaviour because the nature of this issue is that different
people desire different behaviour.

What was agreed by those who contributed was clearly that the
old behaviour was to be preserved by default and that new
behaviour was to be enabled by a command-line option, which
could be set in rc.conf.  You have shown no reason not to go
with the solution that was agreed, so please don't just jump in
with your big boots on insisting that you know best.  Nobody
knows best about this.

> > behaviour default.  _Especially_ if you intend to MFC this, since
> > changing this behaviour in a minor release, without a way to have the
> > old behaviour, is almost certainly wrong.
>
> That's why I asked for comments.

You should have read the thread more carefully.  But you have
been given comments now.  Take heed of them and don't push ahead
with this plan.