Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "S. Sigala" <ssigala@globalnet.it>, Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

Whatever you do, please keep in mind that after installing a lot of us
don't give a damn about package tools and we might want to compile .tgz
crap off the net and stick it into /usr/local with out jumping through and
package installer or registration hoops, case in point: samba, I recently
upgraded to the one off the net and it likes to put itself into
/usr/local/samba and then I simply put /usr/local/samba/bin into my
profile --- because bye the way the one that installed with the 2.2.2 disc
didn't handle the log/lock files correctly because whoever ported it
changed the entire layout of its config/log files etc. which I am not
saying is bad, It just doesn't work right ---- run smbstatus to
demonstrate this on an install from 2.2.2

and other things ---- don't go to RPM, that's a sell out