Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 16:59:17 -0500
From:      Andrew Heybey <ath@niksun.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   deadlock in 3.1-RELEASE

[Meta question: should I send this kind of thing to -current or
-stable?  I experienced it under 3.1, but I don't know if the people
who are working on the VM and/or IO systems read -stable?]

I can wedge my 3.1-RELEASE system under the following conditions:

Two fxp fast ethernet interfaces, each receiving ~15k 512-byte
pkts/sec.  All of the above data (~15MB/sec) being written to a ccd
partition striped across three disks.  A couple of processes also
trying to read the data from disk.

It takes anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours to occur.  It has
happened with both an AIC7890 and an NCR 895 (Tekram 390U2W) disk
controller.

When the deadlock does occur, "ps" (in ddb) says that there are many
processes in vmwait.  The pagedaemon is in an inode wait.  The stack
trace is in default_halt() (which I assume just means that there are
no runnable processes).  The system is not short of memory (unless
"short of memory" means that it is attempting to use it all as a disk
cache).

A search of cvs-commiters for "vmwait deadlock" did not reveal (to my
ignorant eye, anyway) any fixes to -current that would apply to this
problem.

andrew