Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:17:37 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What tipped the balance

Someone asked me in private mail why I chose FreeBSD instead of another
OS, and I thought it might make an interesting topic. This is not about
the benefits of FreeBSD versus something else, it's about what affected
us personally when we made the decision.

The main issue for me was that I wanted to learn unix, learn it right,
and learn it once. I'm not a student or a career computer person so I
only have the time to learn it once. FreeBSD looked to be more of a
"real unix" and seemed to be used almost exclusively (then) by serious
people with a lot of experience, but people I didn't know, whereas I
knew a lot of home users and students who were using Linux for fun and
hacking, but not professionally. One friend almost talked me into
Coherent but sending a small amount of money overseas was a major
hassle. Eventually I tried Linux and FreeBSD.

When the Linux users I knew started pushing hard for me to use Linux no
matter what, and the FreeBSD users said it depends what you want to do,
I knew that FreeBSD was chosen by those who know how to choose.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-