Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:07:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Administrator IPA <administrator@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: em0: Intel Pro/1000MT is not working!

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Hartmann, O. <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:
>  > em0: <Intel (R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version 1.3.14> at device 16.0 on pci0
>  > em0: Memory Access and/or Bus Master bits were not set!
>  > em0: Unable to allocate bus resource: memory
>  > em0: Allocation of PCI resources failed
>  > device_probe_and_attach: em0 and attach returned 6
>
> It seems like the BIOS did not properly assign resources to
> the PCI devices.  If your BIOS setup contains an option
> similar to "PnP OS" or "OS support", set it it "No", "Non-
> Windows" or "Other".
>
> If that doesn't work, try adding the following line to your
> kernel configuration file:
>
> options         PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES
>
> Then config, build and install the new kernel and reboot.
>
> Regards
>    Oliver
>
> --
> Oliver Fromme, secnetix GmbH & Co KG, Oettingenstr. 2, 80538 München
> Any opinions expressed in this message may be personal to the author
> and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix in any way.
>
> "All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream" (E. A. Poe)

Hello.

In kernel PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES is enabled by default, but the only way that
helped was to disable 'PnP OS' (or similar). That was it! Thanks a lot
for the fast response.

Oliver
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)