Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:56:16 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
To:        Stephane Raimbault <segr@hotmail.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error 49, socket problem?

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Stephane Raimbault wrote:

> I was running out of ports in the 1024-5000 range and setting my last port
> to 65535 via sysctl did solve my problem.
>
> In 4.10 what will sysctl -w net.inet.ip.portrange.randomized=0 do for me?

If you have too many quick connections between proxy (4.10) and backend,
or between the http server (4.10) and the SQL server then you may see
in the logs the accidental errors "Connection refused". This is because
4.10 gets port number randomly and there is the chance that other side
has the connection with the same port in TIME_WAIT state.

See, i.e., http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-stable_2004/msg02310.html

> Is there any danger of me setting the port range from 1024 - 65535 ?

I believe it is safe.

Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/