Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 21:50:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Peter Stubbs <peters@staidan.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What ever happened to... ? / new money spinner

On Wed, 20 Dec 1995, Peter Stubbs wrote:

> On 19 Dec 95 at 8:41, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
>
> > Gary,
> > You are way off base here. Walnut Creek provides SIGNIFICANT support
> > for the FreeBSD project. 1) They supply development hardware. 2)
> > They supply Internet connectivity. and 3) They pay the salary of
> > Jordan to work FULL TIME on FreeBSD.
> >
> > Frankly, I don't see how they are making enough on all the FreeBSD
> > materials to provide this much support and still break even on the
> > P&L statement.
> >
> > ----
> > Richard Wackerbarth
> > rkw@dataplex.net
>
> This may not be of any help, but perhaps a new freebsd product would
> help? The one I have in mind is a documentation / support CD.
>
> If it included the -questions archive, the handbook, the
> documentation project and the browsable kernel source. All in html or
> some other portable format, with a browser. You get the picture,
> setup so even a newbie could work it. Perhaps with ghostscript,
> chimera, xdvi etc in packages.
>
> Present it to WC ready to print, and ask for 5% of the profit for a
> hardware/development fund.
>
> I can tell you that I'd subscribe straight away. Since I run FreeBSD
> at home without a net link, I'd refer to it all the time. At work
> it'd be great since I could mount it under my web page heirarchy and
> browse at CD speed, rather that the dog slow AARNET speed here in
> Australia.
>
> This is a product I'd love to see!
>
> What do you think?

	I think you may have missed Richard's point..

	WC currently pays Jordan's salary (however much that is), to
which Jordan is dedicated to developing/maintaining FreeBSD...WC currently
pays for the T1 that freebsd.org is resting at the other end of...WC
pays for the hardware that is used by freebsd.org...

	...so, so far as I can see it, WC is turning around a larger
chunk then 5% of the profits back into the project...I'm curious as to
how many ppl buy copies of the CDrom vs. ftp'ng it in from the server...
does WC break even, or are they currently losing money on the project?

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc