Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:14:20 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Cyrille Szymanski <cnszym@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD acpi <freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: powerd algorithms enhancements

Hi.

Cyrille Szymanski wrote:
>>> There's a patch Cyrille Szymanski has sent me to review that implements
>>> the FLAT and PAST algorithms in powerd.  I think we should not add new
>>> modes that are heuristics (including this one) until we have a chance to
>>> compare it to algorithms that have been the result of real research.
>> So show it to us. This area is heuristic by default as there is several
>> opposite criteriums, so any algorithm will be heuristic.
>
> Although I see the benefits of your proposal, and reckon that systems
> with may levels are more and more common these days. The point is, I
> think, to avoid adding tuning knobs to powerd that would be too
> specific to your configuration and which might benefit everyone.

There is natural trade-off between interactivity and power saving. So I
don't think that "hiadaptive" mode is something too specific to my
system. I haven't added any other tuning, even reduced amount of tuning
that was required to make it work in some cases before.

> Research will (I hope) indicate the way to go.

So where I can get your patches or algorithms description?

--
Alexander Motin