Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:27:32 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Jay Keller <jaykeller4@hotmail.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OT: package management (was: Re: Updating ssh)

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

[Picking a random message to answer]

I must admit that while I agree that the distinction between /usr and
/usr/local must be kept, there is a problem with the way the base system
is laid out from installation.

We have no record of base system installed files as we have for third
party packages.

And there is a solution: we have a package management suite, we should
use it to package the base system.

It might not be simple, it might not be desirable by some people, but I
think it is inevitable.

If it is not done with the 4.x serie w/ the current package tools, it
will be done in the 5.x serie with the next generation pacakge tools,
since it will be the way the system get installed then.

The problem with switching the current system to using package tools is
that they are not complete. They lack the proper capabilities to have
smooth upgrades, undos and such. The next generation tools will address
(and already do!) these issues.

If everything is then packaged this way, /usr and /usr/local are simply
implementation details.

Anyone up for the task of packaging /usr/src?

a.

--huq684BweRXVnRxX

--huq684BweRXVnRxX--