Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:57:22 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse" <jdw@wwwi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse wrote:

> At 08:09 PM 10/16/96 +0200, you wrote:
> >       "CONTRIBUTE, PAY or SHUT UP! (in order of my preference)"
>
> Then you shouldn't call it FreeBSD, because it isn't.  You should
> call it "MembersOnlyBSD."
>
> I was under the mistaken impression that the core team might be
> starting to forget that there are users out there.  You have made
> it clear that in fact it is because you are pretending you don't
> have users.
>
> Later,
> Jeff

I think that tempers are fraying and I think we should all shut up
here..

here is the way I see it..
2.1.x was needed to give us the time to get 2.2 over some major hurdles.

we did this ONLY because of the users.

2.2 is close enough now that we are going to 'cut and run'
or more appropriatly, cut and jump

we are going to jump to 2.2

hopefully that will take about the same amount of time as it would to
make a new release of 2.1.7 or something..
2.1.6 will exist as a patches only version of 2.1.5
in the interim.

after this rather dangerous manouvre, we will all be warm and cosy
again but based on 2.2..

without this we can't POSSIBLY start to support the SMP boards and
other new products. and we'll die.

we have NO CHOICE!!!!!!
when 2.2 goes out the door there will be a feature freeze
for sure.. call it beta or alpha or whatever.. it's the same thing..

julian