Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:14:55 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Do *you* have problems with floppies?

As dkelly@hiwaay.net wrote:

> > p.s.: Does your mainboard also have a Winbond chip for the FDC?  Quite
> > possible that this is the actual culprit.  I think my board has an SMC
> > chip.
>
> fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
> fdc0: NEC 72065B

As i've stated earlier, this is just non-information only.  You gotta
open the case of your machine to learn what FDC you're using.  The
above information is wrong anyway, and it's impossible to get the
actual FDC make by (documented) electronic means.

I should drop the above message from the floppy driver, it's less than
useless.

Tor Egge seems to have traced his problem down to the Winbond chip,
and the best guess one can make out of his test data is that the bus
interface of the chip (*not* the floppy interface) is broken.  Perhaps
it's not noticing DMA overruns.

> Also have access to a Gateway P133 with a VX chipset and same FDC but

Really the same FDC?  Again, verify visually.

> have not had any problems with it. Nor with my $100 5x86/133 CPU & MB
> which "only" has a NEC 765.

A real NE765?  I.e., the 40-pin chip?

--
cheers, J"org