Date:      Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:32:05 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jim@siteplus.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silly makeworld question

On 31 Jan, Jim Weeks wrote:

> I have co-located severs and at present I CVSUP files on a regular basis
> and ever so often run make buildworld from a script remotely.

What do you mean with "on a regular basis", cron(8)? If yes, I recommend
to change this to "Wow, xxx (which is important for me) has changed, I
do a buildworld now." (just read cvs-all or look what cvsup updates).

> Afterwards I go to the co-location, shutdown to single user and make
> installworld along with the usual procedures.  Of course this is a
> hassle.
>
> I do a lot of other things by just shutting down services other than ssh
> and do the work without being stepped on by users.  Has anyone tried
> this with rebuilding the system?

If you really shut down any service (except ssh) and nobody works on the
system: go for it (I'm doing installworlds in multi-user-mode since
2 years, if nobody except me is logged in and no service is enabled,
nothing bad happens to the system).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Pauli's exclusive, Heisenberg's uncertain, and Schroedinger just waves.

http://www.Leidinger.net                  Alexander+Home @ Leidinger.net
  Key fingerprint = 7423 F3E6 3A7E B334 A9CC  B10A 1F5F 130A A638 6E7E