Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 10:46:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), current@freebsd.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3C589b + ep driver

> > FWIW, I'm now starting to see these as well with the if_zp driver under
> > -current, and I *NEVER* saw them before in the almost 2 years I ran 2.1
> > and 2.1.5.
>
> I tried the zp driver from yesterday's -current and couldn't get it to work
> for me (which is odd because I installed using it in July :-()
>
> > This is what also implies that it's not something necessarily specific
> > to the drivers, but something that changes which might require all of
> > the drivers to be modified.
>
> I'm tempted to think (but without proof since I don't have sufficient
> hardware documentation - any, in fact) that the present drivers are timing
> sensitive (increasing CPU load causes more frequent failures) and that some
> other changes in the kernel have provoked a latent weakness.

That's possible, but the CPU load wasn't an issue with me.  The network
load was an issue, but in the 2.1 days I was running the box as an NFS
client where I mounted /usr/src & /usr/obj, and re-built the world on my
laptop.  If that's not a lot of network load on an ethernet card, I
don't know what is. :)

Recently it's been locking up under remote CVS heavy loads (though not
as heavy as before) which can be fixed by a simple 'ifconfig zp0 down;
ifconfig zp0 up'.  It hasn't went down since then under similar loads,
but I was updating the sources from a *very* old version of -current to
the latest bits which caused alot more traffic to be sent out.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the lockups are missed
interrupts, so Bruce would probably be the expert in this.

Nate