Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 1996 17:18:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "John A. Booth" <john@ulantris.infinop.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptect2940UW vs. BuslogicBT-958

My fingers just don't want to type questions correctly.

> > one important issue is whether you really need ultrawide at all.  the disks
> > certainly can't keep up, so it only matters if you have lots of drives on the
> > same chain, in which case you may be better off using multiple regular fast scsi
> > controllers.

 I keep seeing drives that are ultra-wide spec'd at 40 megab(it/yte?)s per
 second.

> > > Okay BSD users (both BSD/OS 2.1 and FreeBSD), which SCSI-3 UltraWide
> > > controller is superior (performance wise), the BusLogic BT-958 OR the
> > > Adaptec 2940UW?  I've heard it both ways.  Someone told me that the BusLogic

 I believe the 2940UW would be better supported in FreeBSD--have no idea
 about BSDI, I heard about some problems with the ultra support but I think
 it was cleared up (in current).