Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:02:47 -0700
From:      "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@elischer.org>, "Archie Cobbs" <archie@dellroad.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: m->m_pkthdr.header

> The whole issue of auxiliary dataa (metadata) and protocol specific
> data storage needs to be solved once and for all..
> (we have our own answer in Netgraph but it's a stopgap)

I adopted the openbsd m_tag stuff and jetisoned m_aux entirely.  I did this
for many reasons, not the least is that it's used to communicate crypto
processing done by NICs up to the IPSEC stack.  This also cleaned up the
KAME code and also sets up removal of all the global variable crud in the IP
protocol handling (by ipfw, the bridge code, etc.).

The m_tag changes are straightforward but right now there tied up in more
extensive mods for hardware crypto acceleration that are unfinished.  Going
this route also improves compatiblity with openbsd which makes porting
drivers simpler.

    Sam