Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:19:05 +0000
From:      Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD 10.1 + serial access (broken?)

Hi,

Can anyone confirm working serial console access on 10.1,

I've just installed a number of servers and found the following fatal
problems with 10.1 over serial

- boot menu loader breaks out to a prompt which requires 'menu' or
'boot' to be typed and shows odd screen behaviour.
   ie system doesn't boot without manual intervention,

- bios  to just before login shell works over console, no login shell,
but reboot messages do show.

Notes:
I do seem to still have serial access to boxes which were upgraded from
10 ->10.1

new installs are connected  via on an older cyclades CAS box, the
working ones above are on a newer cyclades ACS, but the bsd boot issues
come over serial fine
so that part is not a serial access error

my config is:

  boot.conf:             -h
boot.config:    -D
boot/loader.conf
     comconsole_speed="57600"
     console="comconsole"

/etc/ttys
     ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"  vt100   on secure
     or (since 10.1)
     ttyu0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9570"   vt100   onifconsole secure

I'm only in the DC till end of tomorrow, any suggestions would be welcome..

thanks
Paul.

--
-------------------------
Paul Macdonald
IFDNRG Ltd
Web and video hosting
-------------------------
t: 0131 5548070
m: 07970339546
e: paul@ifdnrg.com
w: http://www.ifdnrg.com
IFDNRG
40 Maritime Street
Edinburgh
EH6 6SA
High Specification Dedicated Servers from £100.00pm