Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 2014 18:06:41 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Thomas Hoffmann <trh411@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: print/cups: since update to 1.7.1: error : Send-Document client-error-document-format-not-supported

--Sig_/2zrEFZ3BcCd1/2b1+nxoazP

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:16:32 -0400
Thomas Hoffmann <trh411@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 9:42 AM, O. Hartmann <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>=
wrote:
>=20
> > Since the update of print/cups from 1.5.X to 1.7.1 I'm unable to print
> > from LibreOffice,
> > Firefox or Claws-Mail, but I can print LaTeX created documents via xpdf=
 or
> > Postscript
> > directly by naming the printqueue.
> >
> > Checking the access- and error logs of cups when failing, I always see
> > this weird message
> > (not for the particular queue, but for all):
> >
> > access_log:
> >  "POST /printers/OJ8600PRO_SW_A4_simplex_draft HTTP/1.1"
> > 200 36510 Send-Document client-error-document-format-not-supported
> >
> > error_log:
> > [Client 14] Returning IPP client-error-document-format-not-supported for
> > Send-Document
> > (ipp://localhost:631/printers/OJ8600PRO_SW_A4_simplex_draft) from local=
host

> > This happens with the "rescued" configuration of the printing system as
> > well with a
> > brand-new setup. Googling reveals, that maybe /var/db/cache could be the
> > culprit, but I
> > deleted all files there as well as other spool folders and I already se=
tup
> > each printer
> > from scratch since I suspected changes in the configs.
> >
> > Has anybody ideas where to look further?
> >
> > I was wondering if I might be the only one with trouble after that cups
> > update.
> >
> > Please CC me when responding,
> >
> > thanks in advance,
> >
> > Oliver
> >
>=20
> Some folks on the Forums reported that the (re)-installation of
> print/cups-filter resolved this issue for them. Maybe for you too?
>=20
> For reference: https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=3D46&t=3D45738
>=20
> -Tom

I already had this port installed, but was forced to deinstall it again. It=
 seems to
corrupt everything that worked before:

printing a testpage "works", but the print spits out a page with a cryptic =
set of chars
at the end of the page: %?

Printing from "gv" (some gnuplot scientif diagrams) is impossible, I get a =
white sheet,
if lucky - or nothing at all. This doesn't happen without print/cups-filter=
s and
print/qpdf installed (both are installed, qpdf is a dependency for cups-fil=
ters as I see).

I use the print/hplip driver for the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 (N911a) - this w=
orked
perfectly before.

When deleting print/cups-filters and print/qpdf again, I can print from "gv=
" as well as
from xpdf again.

It is a mess!

Oliver