Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 09:05:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, phk@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: dump errors

Mark Tinguely wrote:

> >  > I'm dumping just one filesystem, an ufs filesystem.  Fsck reveals no
> >  > errors, but the drive itself could be going bad at those sectors.
> >  > Fortunately, you see these types of errors too, so it may yet
> >  > be a software problem.
> >
> >  In either of your cases are theses ufs filesystems larger than 2G bytes?
>
> I was going to ask the same question, because the lseek-s in traverse.c should
> not read:
> if ((int)lseek(diskfd, ((off_t)blkno << dev_bshift), 0) < 0)
>
> but should read:
>
> if (lseek(diskfd, ((off_t)blkno << dev_bshift), 0)==(off_t) -1)
>
> as I stated in bug report 461. I doubt this is the problem because you
> would get a lot of lseek errors.

I, too, have been having these lseek errors with dump (plus some
others that may be related).  What I have discovered is that if I
take a file system that is failing and rebuild it (cpio it off to
another disk or tape, newfs, then cpio it back) dump then gets
happy.  I have successfully done this with two of the filesystems
that I am having problems with.  I still have a couple more to go
:-(

Note that both of these file systems were created on 1.1.5.1 and
just under 2GB.

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com (or obiwan%bob@uunet.uu.net)