Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 09:03:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bitten 3 times already.

>Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:20:31 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>

>> + The kernel crash dump is written using CHS addressing. Kernel crash
>> + dumps should not be enabled for disks running in LBA mode.

>Doesn't belong in a machine-independent manual page.

OK....  That leaves a couple of options:

* Don't provide such a (machine-dependent) warning, or

* Provide one somewhere else.

Now, it may well be that anyone running certain flavors of an OS should
be expected to know the arcana of each instantiation of the hardware on
which it happens to be implemented.

If so, I'd appreciate a pointer to such information, since I'm finding
PC hardware very strange and prone to peculiar forms of misbehavior.
(My prior experience has been mostly with Sun boxen & IBM mainframes.)

If not, it would seem that providing a place for warnings of a machine-
dependent nature would be a Good Thing.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621