Date:      Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:09:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Minor ACPI issues in CURRENT

I have seen a couple of issues in ACPI. One is a regression (and it's
the most significant.)

I have been using John Baldwin's DPMS patch to
/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_video.c to turn off the display when I suspend(S3).
This has been working fine since I first installed the patch about a
month ago. When I did zzz(8), the display would switch back to ttyv0,
turn off and the system would fully suspend.

Now, it does not turn off the display. The system mostly suspends, but
the back light remains on and the video is not blanked. This is exactly
the way it was behaving prior to the patch.

Another issue involves the battery. The value of the battery status
returned is unique to each battery and the value returned to queries
(likely APM) by either the gnome-battery applet or the apm(8) command is
the worst of the two. This means when running with two batteries, as
soon as the first starts to discharge, I see "Low" reported even though
the primary battery is a 100% charge. I believe the lowest value should
be reported, not the highest. (I mean in terms of what ACPI returns, not
battery charge.) I thought that it had worked this way at one time.

Finally, if I add a battery after the system is up and running, ACPI no
longer returns meaningful values and never "sees" the new battery. (I
don't know if this is in the FreeBSD code or BIOS, so I dont' know if it
can be fixed.)

I see that there have been a few updates since I last updated the kernel,
but I need the system on-line right now, so I can't update until
tomorrow.

This applies to my IBM T30. System current as of June 26. I can post my
acpidump and other stuff if needed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)