Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:09:23 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
Cc:        Nicholas Hart <nick@nickhart.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: migration questions

On 2002-09-30 02:00, Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 03:02:53PM -0700, Nicholas Hart wrote:
> > Hello!  I would like to migrate my linux (RedHat 7.1) server to
> > FreeBSD.  I am familiar with a lot of unix concepts, but am by no
> > means a guru.  I need some information on how to make this
> > transition as smooth as possible.
> > [...]
> > 3. my firewall & NAT rules
>
> #3 is going to be the trickiest item for you.  It involves a kernel
> recompile and converting your ipchains or iptables rulesets over to
> ipf or ipfw format.  Using ipfw/nat is documented very nicely in the
> handbook however, as is recompiling a kernel.

There is also a great collection of articles on setting up firewalls
with FreeBSD, at web sites such as:

	http://www.freebsddiary.org/
	http://www.daemonnews.org/

For more documentation available locally, you might want to take a
look at the following places too:

	/etc/rc.firewall
		This contains a lot of rules for ipfw, and will
		certainly be of great assistance to someone who wants
		to see practical examples of ipfw at work.

	/usr/src/contrib/ipfilter/rules
		This directory, part of the ipfilter source, contains
		a lot of ipfilter rulesets and examples for ipf & ipnat.

Giorgos.