Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 96 00:02:26 +0600
From:      "Vikas Aggarwal" <vikas@navya.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1 install experience

Just wanted to share my experience installing FreeBSD2.1

I was installing FreeBSD on a partition on a second hard disk in
my PC which already had the Windows NT boot loader in the primary
DOS disk.

I used the 'view' program from within DOS to install FreeBSD.
I tried installing FreeBSD without the boot floppy- the install
process changed my boot blocks, but failed to boot and continue
with the install (I forget the exact error message). I then
proceeded to install the FreeBSD using a boot floppy (first I booted
off a DOS floppy then created a FreeBSD boot floppy etc.).

Well, I never really got back my NT loader. I chose NOT to install the
boot manager that comes with FreeBSD (selecting instead to go into BSD
when I insert the boot floppy). On rebooting the system, it hung with
"non-system disk" error. I wasnt too much of a wiz with Windows NT, so
didnt know how to just repair and get back my NT boot loader. Installed
NT all over again, etc, etc.

Might want to warn people or something.

    -vikas