Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 16:46:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Clewlow <tim1timau@yahoo.com>
To:        eculp@encontacto.net, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which "linux emulation" works with which programs or the inverse?

--- eculp@encontacto.net wrote:

> I'm totally confused. I was simply trying to get flash 9 or 7 working
> in RELENG7 with which ever version of linux emulation and have been
> totally unsuccessful.  In this I have been reading several other folks
> where in fc4 something works and in fc7 it doesn't (Java, IIRC) and
> the "scandalous status of linux-flashplugin9" thread, Sam Fourman Jr.,
> is able to get flash working in firefox with gnash that completely
> crashes my installation.  The last couple of days I have tried to vary
> the version of linux emulation and test both flash 7 & 9 and gnash in
> fc4, fc6 and f7 but only using 2.4.2 and 2.6.16 although the Java
> issue talks of 2.6.19.  How are these versions derived?  Is there any
> up to date general information about linux emulation on freebsd and a
> few examples for configuration?
>
> The strange part of all this is that gnash crashes all, flash 7 just
> shows a gray screen on all and flash 9 actually has a play button that
> looks like it is going to work and then goes to the gray screen and
> plays the sound but without video.
>
> Any suggestions as to where to find information on the different
> combinations of emulation and how and why would be great as would a
> working flash player like gnash is designed to be.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ed
>
> P.S. Why not ;)  Is there any hope in all this for GoogleEarth?
> Probably a very silly question.

Hi there, I have native firefox with flash 7 working fine on FreeBSD 6.2, with
java and adobe reader. I am guessing it should be pretty much the same for FBSD
7.

# Short and sweet summary:

install www/firefox
install print/acroread7
install java/diablo-jdk15
install www/linux-flashplugin7
kldload linux
echo "none            /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs       rw      0
0" >> /etc/fstab
mount -a
echo "linux_enable=\"YES\"" >> /etc/rc.conf
nspluginwrapper -v -a -i

Hope this at least gives pointers as to what to do in FreeBSD 7.

Regards, Tim.