Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 13:28:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brian Scott <brian.scott@SLipmat.net>
To:        Aldenor Falcao <aald@etfal.g12.br>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: webmail

I use apache-php3-1.3.6+mod_ssl-2.2.8, mysql-3.22.22,
imap-uw-4.5, qpopper-2.53, procmail-3.13.1 and
ispell-3.1.20 (all installed from the ports).  IMP uses
the local UNIX password file for authentication and
writes the users files in ~home/mail under their UID so
its almost like a web-pine in functionality, it uses the
mysql for the addressbook and your personal settings
(e-mail, signature).  I use the sendmail configuration
that comes installed on the 3.2-RELEASE and found it to
be a seamless integration, I can use my pop3 just fine
(IMP is using IMAP).  I did however have to be careful
in my appche.conf in respect to directory permissions
i.e....

<Directory "/usr/local/www/email/config">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order deny,allow
    deny from all
</Directory>

I only have 7 users on this machine, but they are fairly
abusive and have yet to report any problems that we
haven't been able to sort.  I have heard that IMP
consumes alot of system resources under even a medium
workload, but this came from a person using the *cough*
*cough* NON-UNIX - UNIX like operating system, who knows
what a properly configured UNIX machine could yeild.
My IMP interface can be veiwed at www.slipmat.net/email.

Brian-

Quoting Aldenor Falcao <aald@etfal.g12.br>:

> 	Good morning!
> 	I'd like to implement a free webmail site using
IMP(like yahoo
> mail), in my humble condition of none experience in
this matter I'll rely
> completely on everybody else mercy. Here is my
questions:

> 	1)best MTA to use(sendmail, qmail)
> 		vmailmgr?
> 	2)best authetication scheme(RDBS or other)
> 		mysql?
>

> 	TIA,
> 		Aldenor

message