Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:54:05 GMT
From:      mouth@ibm.net (John Kelly)
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd@atipa.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Sharing interrupts

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 13:55:20 +0930 (CST), Michael Smith wrote:

>This isn't meant to detract from the fact that, at least for you, it
>works; all I ask is that you and other people understand and admit
>the basically ugly nature of what you are doing.

You made some interesting points and I'll keep your post for future
reference in case I ever start having problems.  But for now, I use it
daily without serial errors, so it appears my hack has produced no ill
effects.

I'm not recommending it as the *best* solution for sharing IRQs.  As I
stated in another thread, http://www.byterunner.com sells a variety of
multiport comm boards already designed for interrupt sharing, at
surprisingly reasonable cost.  They have an 8-port board with 16650s
for about $150, a bargain price compared to an 8-port Digiboard.  I'm
planning to buy several of them.  It may be quicker than soldering all
those diodes. :)

John