Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 1996 13:33:27 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Hinrich Eilts <eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        ipc1@tribeca.ios.com (Dale Benzer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail "loop back to myself"

> What are we doing wrong here???!!!  Mail from the net is received but
> returned by our server to the sender with this loops back on myself message.
>
> Anyone know how I can start ,debugging this?

If sendmail receives mail, it decides how to forward to what recipient
by interpreting the "To:" address. You can observe it by starting sendmail
with "-bt" and testing rulset 3,0 like:

sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
> 3,0 user@localhost
[some lines deleted]
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# local $: @ user
> 3,0 user@freebsd.org
[some lines deleted]
rewrite: ruleset  0 returns: $# smtp $@ freebsd . org . $: user < @ freebsd . or

After "$#" the mailer to forward is cited, "local" at first example, "smtp"
at secound.
If sendmail decide to use a remote-mailer like "smtp" and recognize this
will end up in sending to itself, famous "loop back to myself" appears.
The way sendmail decide to use "local" is reading its configuration file,
where lines like "Cwlocalhost" tell sendmail, "localhost" is local.
If your host is named "tribeca.ios.com" adding a line "Cw tribeca.ios.com"
should resolve the problem. Best to add any aliases, too.

Hinrich

--
            Hinrich Eilts
 Uni:   eilts@late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de             | G i b   D O S |