Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:07:09 +0100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
To:        John Bolster <j.bol@gte.net>
Cc:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: log myself out

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 02:43:33AM -0500, John Bolster wrote:
> 1. When I log back in and do a 'who' command I see that the earlier sessions
> are still running. What is the best way to log them out and close them from
> my new session?

Is it only in "who" or also in the process-list? If only the first,
then it's only an administrative problem with the logfiles, if it's
also in the process-list then find the terminal in the process-list
and kill these ones:

[~] edwin@kludge>w
10:03AM  up 4 days,  9:03, 11 users, load averages: 1.04, 1.05, 1.01
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
[..]
edwin            p5       :0.0             Fri09AM 2days tin -r
[..]

Terminal p5...

[~] edwin@kludge>ps xauw | grep -w p5 | grep -v grep
edwin   4821  0.0  0.7  1328  916  p5  Is   Fri09AM   0:00.05 -bash (bash)
edwin   4823  0.0  8.3 11160 10556  p5  I+   Fri09AM   0:09.10 tin -r

[~] edwin@kludge>kill -9 `ps xauw | grep -w p5 | grep -v grep | awk '{ print $2 }'`

First try it without the -9, then get the things which refuse to
die with a -9.

> 2. Sometimes I get disconnected and then can't get back in. I wonder if the
> server has crashed, but if I wait, usually, about 15 minutes or less I get
> back in again. Once I had to wait until the next day before it recovered. Is
> this from some mechanism in FreeBSD that notices when a program has had a
> problem and restarts it? This happens with ftpd as well as ssh.

Can you still ping it? Can you telnet to port 22? Do you see a prompt then?

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions:
mavetju@chello.nl |                     http://fataldimensions.nl.eu.org/