Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2016 12:57:20 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel I219 V2 (if_em) Wake on LAN not working

Hi,

I have a new machine with the I219 ethernet adapter. (PCI deviceID: 0x15b8).

It works fine on the OS, but I cannot enable wake on lan on it in any way:

# ifconfig em0
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether XXX
        inet XXX netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast XXX
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        status: active
# ifconfig em0 wol
# ifconfig em0
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether XXX
        inet XXX netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast XXX
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        status: active
# sysctl dev.em.0.wake=1
dev.em.0.wake: 0 -> 1
# ifconfig em0
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether XXX
        inet XXX netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast XXX
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        status: active
# ifconfig em0 wol
# ifconfig em0
em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500

options=4019b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
        ether XXX
        inet XXX netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast XXX
        nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        status: active
#

Sending the WOL packet does not work after shutdown, while it works if
turning off the machine from the BIOS (obviously appropriate flags in
the BIOS are turned on) with the power button.

Am I missing something obvious? Any further information is needed?

Thanks in advance.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>