Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:39:37 -0400
From:      Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: dpt scsi smartraid iv controller, in raid 5 mode... ?

In article <<19990818085508.N7187@freebie.lemis.com>, you wrote:

>I haven't heard of any bugs.  I have heard suggestions that the RAID-5

>performance is even worse than RAID-5 has to be, but I don't have much

>in the way of evidence.

It will depend on the mix of FW you are using, cache and drives. DPT's

RAID-5 performance typically exceeds what is expected (IMHO)  due to

our use of the cache on the controller, but can also suck for something as

subtle as a bogus stripe size selection.

>> while other people have said that dpt support doesn't know about the

>> raid iv drivers.

>I suppose that depends on who you get at DPT support.

Since the IV generation driver was written by Simon Shapiro, DPT support

(and DPT engineering) are at somewhat of a disadvantage. This is changing

as they come up to speed. LINUX ran into a similar issues with Michael

Neuffer effectively becoming a volunteer DPT support person instead of

DPT providing the support.

>> also there is rumor of support for the raid v card 'soon'.

>Yes.  There is a rumour.

No rumor, I released the driver to any who would ask for it on August 3

and announced it here and in freebsd-hardware. Currently, only Mirapoint

has taken to testing the driver.

The driver provides passthrough, so we have a working native command

line based configuration tool (dptutil). An engineer is working on porting

the storage manager to the X11/LessTIF environment. This driver is a

SCSI based driver.

Simon Shapiro is working on a higher performance Monolithic driver

which should be out real soon.

>> please excuse the hotmail acct :/

>I will.  My mail system won't :-)

I get grumpy when I see email from earthlink, considering their

gross indecency back in the Cantor and Siegel days and the

ensuing spam ;-/.

But I learned many years ago that it doesn't matter which

country, or internet service, you are on, they are all people

deserving of respect!

;->

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

	ObjDisclaimer: I know nothing, and what I say does not

	represent DPT.