Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 14:55:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mount_ext2fs issue

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Roman Volf wrote:

> I would have posted this to -questions, but I believe the list is down, or
> at least the online search is down.
>
> The problem i'm having is accessing a drive which had Slackware Linux
> installed on it. The partition table of the drive looked like this:
>
> /dev/hda1 (swap)
> /dev/hda2 (/)
> /dev/hda3 (/usr)
> /dev/hda4 (extended partition)
> /dev/hda5 (/var)
> /dev/hda6 (/home)
>
> I then installed new hard drive and installed FreeBSD on it. Compiled the
> kernel with  the EXT2FS option, and proceeded to mount the partitions.
>
> [root@locutus ~]# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s2 /old/slash
> [root@locutus ~]# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s3 /old/usr
> [root@locutus ~]# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s4 /old/var
> ext2fs: /dev/ad1s4: Invalid argument
> [root@locutus ~]# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s5 /old/var
> ext2fs: /dev/ad1s5: No such file or directory
> [root@locutus ~]# mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad1s6 /old/var
> ext2fs: /dev/ad1s6: No such file or directory
>
> Is there some other format I can use to read these partitions? I'm more
> concerned with /home, as it has all the data I need. Here is the ouput of
> fdisk for /dev/ad1:

    What does ls /dev/ad1s* tell you?

    On my system, /dev/ad1s[56] do not exist.

    It's entirely possible that mount_ext2fs expects a raw device
argument.  What happens when you try

    mount -t ext2fs /dev/rad1s4 /old/var

?

(Yeah, I know rad1s4 and ad1s4 are the same, but mount_ext2fs might
not know that.)

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)